Brunswick Heads is a long established fishing village at the mouth of the Brunswick River. It came into existence in the 1850’s when cedar cutters began felling timber, using the beach and entrance to load their logs.The river entrance is now trained by two prominent walls that clearly define the northern end of the beach. The beach sweeps to the south east toward Byron Bay, terminating after 10.5 km at the mouth of Belongil Creek. A vehicle and foot bridge cross the Brunswick River to provide access to the beach, with the best access at the surf club.
The Brunswick Surf Club is located 400 mts south of the entrance wall and offers parking and a large park and picnic area. Brunswick Heads is popular with bathers and fisherman, however both have to be wary. The Brunswick river mouth bar is notorious for upending large and small boats, and the surf beach has not only a double bar system dominated by rips, but a prominent rip that runs out against the southern training wall, in addition to strong tidal currents and breaking waves between the training walls.
To safeguard the bathers and fishermen, the Brunswick Surf Club was formed in 1935. The Brunswick SLSC is responsible for patrolling the area from the Belongil Creek mouth in the south to the surf beaches of New Brighton and South Golden Beach to the north on weekends and public holidays from September to April each year.
Brunswick Surf Life Saving Club was formed at a meeting on Friday 8th November 1935 from a motion that the public of Mullumbimby and Brunswick Heads co-operate to form a Surf Club to patrol the south beach at Brunswick Heads.
South Beach Rd
Brunswick Heads NSW 2483
Phone: 02 6685 1273 (Not attended at all times)